Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Is English Beautiful or Really Complicated?

Professor Ernest Brennecke of Columbia is credited with inventing a sentence that can be made to have eight different meanings by placing ONE WORD in all possible positions in the sentence:

"I hit him in the eye yesterday."

The word is: "ONLY".

The Message:

1. ONLY I hit him in the eye yesterday.
(No one else did.)

2. I ONLY hit him in the eye yesterday.
(Did not slap him.)

3. I hit ONLY him in the eye yesterday.
(I did not hit others.)

4. I hit him ONLY in the eye yesterday.
(I did not hit outside the eye.)

5. I hit him in ONLY the eye yesterday.
(Not other organs.)

6. I hit him in the ONLY eye yesterday.
(He doesn't have another eye..)

7. I hit him in the eye ONLY yesterday.
(Not today.)

8. I hit him in the eye yesterday ONLY.
(Did not wait for today.)

This is the beauty and complexity of the English language.

1 comment: